- Introduction To Campers And RVs
- May 9, 2020
If you are thinking about investing in a camper van or building your own campervan, it is important to figure out what kind of insurance coverage you will need. Insurance coverage for campervans will be different than that for a motorhome and other RVs. Knowing the difference will help to make sure that your coverage is affordable and that your campervan is fully insured.
What Is The Difference Between Motorhomes and Campervans?
There are several differences between motorhomes and campervans. Campervans are smaller and more compact than motorhomes are, and they do not have a driving cab that is separate from the living area.
What Level of Campervan Insurance Is For Me?
When you have campervan insurance, it is designed to help protect your campervan and you from theft, accidents, and damage. When looking for insurance coverage, you will want to find a coverage plan that will cover personal injury claims and vehicle damage if the accident was your own fault, as well as if you were in an accident that was not your fault. You may also want to consider insurance that will cover theft and fire. Getting the maximum coverage available for your campervan might be more expensive, but for the protection of your vehicle, it is worth it in the long run.
What Does Campervan Insurance Not Cover?
Campervan insurance will not cover everything that might go wrong when owning a campervan. Things that will not be covered include:
• Damage. Damage through normal wear and tear will not be covered on most insurance policies.
• Theft. If your vehicle is stolen and you did not have the proper security measures in place, chances are that your insurance will not cover it. Always make sure that the windows are closed and the doors are locked.
• Insect and rodent damage. If you have insects or rodents that get into your campervan and cause damage, your insurance will not cover it.
• Tires. If your tires are cut or punctured, your insurance will not cover that.
The Cost of Campervan Insurance
Campervan insurance will depend on a variety of things, including the coverage that you choose. Things that will affect the cost of your insurance include:
• Age. How old your campervan is will affect the cost of your insurance.
• Model. The model that you are using will also influence the cost of your insurance.
• Storage. Where you choose to store your campervan may affect the overall cost of your campervan.
• Claims. If you have any insurance claims in the past, this may cause your insurance to be higher.
• Usage. The usage of your campervan will matter. If you plan to use it all the time, the cost will be higher than it would if you were only using the campervan occasionally.
• Location. Your location may have an effect on the cost of your campervan insurance.
• Company. The company you choose will have an effect on your insurance rates. It is best to get a quote from several different campervan insurance coverage companies.
Can I Get Cheaper Campervan Insurance?
You may be able to lower your campervan insurance by doing the following:
• Security measures. Installing security measures like tracking systems and cameras can help to ensure that your campervan is not stolen and may help to lower your insurance rates.
• Storage. Storage is imperative when protecting your campervan. If you store your campervan in a locked garage, it could reduce your premiums.
• Mileage. Keep up with your mileage. Low mileage can help to keep your premiums lower and can help you to avoid accidents which may increase your premiums.
While getting cheap insurance might seem like a good idea, be wary of insurance that is too cheap. You will want to make sure that your insurance is adequate enough to cover any problems and accidents that may come up. This is especially true if you ever decide to rent out your campervan or loan it to a member of your family or a friend.
To find the best campervan insurance companies do your research online and be sure to look at reviews. Finding the best campervan insurance company will help to ensure that you are getting affordable rates and that you will be covered in case of an accident. Remember to ask insurance agents important questions and make sure that you have all of your insurance information in an area where you can get to it quickly if needed. Having adequate insurance will give you peace of mind when you are out on the road traveling.